Bat City Review is published annually. Due to an overwhelming number of submissions this year, we've decided to shorten our submission window to December 1st, 2017. Thank you so much for all your submissions thus far, and please keep sending work our way till the first of December!
We are now accepting and reading submissions until December 1st, 2017 with responses typically sent within two months of receiving a submission.
We are interested in poetry, fiction, and creative non-fiction that experiments with language, form, and unconventional subject matter, as well as more traditional work. We also welcome translations. Along with your translations, please include a copy of the original text and a note stating that you have secured permission from the copyright holder.
Our staff changes every year, and a team of readers and a large editorial board evaluate each submission. In a recent interview with the Review Review, Nick Almeida, Editor-in-Chief for Issue 13, outlines who we are and how we work. Before submitting to Bat City Review, take some time to review our mission statement, previous issues and featured content in order to familiarize yourself with our aesthetic heritage.
- We only accept submissions through Submittable.
- Please remove all identifying information from the submission document itself.
- Students of the University of Texas at Austin may not submit.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine, but please email the relevant editor immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Due to the volume of submissions, we ask that you submit no more than one piece per genre at a time.
- Contributors receive two free copies of the issue in which their work appears. Individual rights revert to authors upon publication.
Please submit three to five poems.
Please submit short stories, flash fiction, novel excerpts, and other experiments. Word limit: 5,000.
Please submit creative nonfiction, lyric essays, memoirs, hybrid works, and interviews. Word limit: 5,000.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a query.
Our Short Prose Contest opens in the spring and runs through the first 400 submissions.